Sunday, October 10, 2010

"The Wave," or, Facing Your Fears

It is fitting that my first blog entry should be about a book that scares the bejeezus out of me.  I have long wanted to start a blog about reading - my favorite books, what I want to read, books that haunt me -  well, you get the idea. Since I am already diving straight into the deep end, why not write about a book whose very subject matter fills me with anxiety?

The Wave, written by Susan Casey, is nonfiction, but don't let that fool you - it's like a juicy beach book.  Casey's writing style is easy, engaging and filled with suspense.  How can a nonfiction book be a page turner?  Casey's stories of giant waves, surfers who ride them, and sailors who have survived them is like stepping straight into a horror movie.  I won't lie, there is science, history, and the threat of global warming in this book too.  But for the most part, it is such a thrilling and terrifying look at monstrous walls of water and the havoc they bring that it is hard to put down.  For someone like me who is terrified of tidal waves, each turn of the page brings me to a new level of dread...but like the proverbial train wreck, I can't look away.

Such it is with the blog.  I finally reached the point where it was time to face my fear of having people read what I write, and all the scrutiny that will come with it.  I hope you will enjoy this journey with me.