Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Fabulous Kate Atkinson

Scrolling through Amazon's Kindle deals a couple of weeks ago, the very first item that popped up was Kate Atkinson's novel, Started Early, Took My Dog.  I actually sighed out loud... one of my favorite mysteries, at only $1.99!  I remember fondly when I first picked up Case Histories, Atkinson's fifth book but her first crime novel, with its twists and turns, the intricate interweaving of subplots and characters, and a new favorite detective, the truculent detective Jackson Brodie. She quickly followed with several other Brodie mysteries, including Started Early, each one as delicious as the one before.

Atkinson has a new novel that I can't wait to get my hands on... Life After Life, in which Ursula Todd, born on a cold night in 1910, dies and then is born again - and again, and again, each time with a chance to rewrite history.  As England makes its way toward World  War II, Ursula can change the future of the world... if only she gets the chance.

Happy reading!